Pages

Friday, September 14, 2018

2018 Wardrobe Contest with Pattern Review


Recently I have been participating in Pattern Review's 2018 Wardrobe Challenge. The premise is that you need to create five items that can be interchanged with one another to create six looks. I began ruminating about what items I might create in advance of the contest at the end of August. What was tricky for me is that typically I like to wear dresses but this contest was, in my opinion, better suited to separates.

This particular wardrobe challenge is supposed to have a work focus. They allow for your interpretation to be individualized. You can make a wardrobe for the job you have, the job you want, the job you dream of, etc. I’m lucky in that the job I dream of is closely in line with the job I have. As a costume shop manager I sew every day and my dream is sew every day. I think someday I’d love to have my own line of patterns and spend my days testing and perfecting them, so what I do is not far off.

I made the decision to make two tops, two skirts, and a blazer. I’m more of a skirt kind of gal myself so pants weren’t high on my priority list. They way it works out I could technically get seven outfits rather than just the six. To solve my dress love problem I am making a top and a skirt out of the same print so that they can be worn as a dress.

I’m using the following patterns:

·        Simplicity 1421 – A structured lightly fitted unlined blazer
o   Fabric: twill suiting and self-made bias tape detailing.
·        Colette Patterns Mabel – A knit pencil skirt
o   Fabric: Odessa Stretch Crepe
·        McCall 3138 – A vintage dress pattern from 1972 that I have shortened to be a shirt.
o   Fabric: Cloud 9 Mad Mend Don quilters cotton
·        Dirndl Skirt – I am self drafting this skirt with button tab closures and of course, pockets!
o   Fabric: Cloud 9 Mad Mend Don quilters cotton
·        Jennifer Lauren Handmade Gable Top – A bateau neck 1950s inspired knit top.
o   Fabric: Striped Rayon Jersey from Harts Fabric




With the exception of the blazer I have made all these patterns before. I’m doing my best to dial in the fit because these are patterns I have used before. I am also going to be increasing my focus on embellishment and ornamentation to really personalize my makes. I have done a sort of tattoo style stencil printing combined with embroidery before and that is the technique I am planning to employ on 3 of my five garments.

Another thing that I am attempting to start is journaling and planning about my makes. I want to have a reference to look at for the things that I have made before and notes about what was most successful and what needed to be altered. I am also looking to diminish the UFOs (Un Finished Objects) in my sewing life and make my sewing more productive.

The inspiration for this mini collection was a Cloud 9 fabric from their Mad Mend collection. They are a series of graphic mod prints that are all sewing themed. The fabric I chose are these primary colored thimbles. It has informed the embroidery that I want to do elsewhere on my garments.

Another motivation for me and a way to kick off all of these new sewing journeys is the fact that it is Sew Your Hart Out September. It has really inspired me to ramp up my production and increase my sewcial social media presence.

Time to follow the bouncing ball folks, individual reviews of each item to follow.



No comments:

Post a Comment